The presence of a Jewish settlement in Uherský Ostroh dates back at least to the 16th century. The local Jewish population reached its peak by the mid-19th century. Due to the Nazi persecution the local Jewish community ceased to exist during the WWII.
The Jewish quarter is situated in the south part of the city centre, today comprising streets Nábřežní and Kostelní. Out of the initial 36 houses 27 have been preserved, among them the old school at No. 172, the new school at No.157 and a common hall at No. 159. The originally baroque-classicist synagogue with later alterations, built perhaps in the 17th century, was torn down by the Nazis in 1944. A low wall at the joint of streets Nábřežní and Kostelní (Fig.1) marks its original ground plan.
The new Jewish cemetery is situated within the area of the town’s burial grounds in Veselská Street in the outskirts of the city, approximately 1 km south of the main square. The cemetery was founded in 1862 and comprises circa 200 recent and around 100 older tombstones, moved here from a near abolished cemetery from the 17th century. A memorial to the victims of the Nazi persecution can be found at the cemetery. The burial-ground is open to the public at all times (Fig.2).
Uherský Ostroh is the birthplace of the rabbi and writer Joel Müller (1827–1895, Berlin).
For further information on the locality and its landmarks please see www.uhostroh.cz.