The local Jewish medieval settlement with a synagogue and a cemetery perished after the banishment of the Jews from the city in 1564; a recent Jewish community started to develop in Moravské Budějovice in the mid-19th century. The deportations of Jewish citizens during WWII brought a short end to the community.
A memorial plaque (Fig.1) mounted on the passenger building of the bus terminal in Pražská Street in 2006 commemorates the Art Nouveau synagogue from 1910, which was used as a storage space after WWII and torn down in 1977.
The Jewish cemetery at 795 Husova Street is located beyond the bounds of the city, 2 km southwest from the city’s centre by the road to the village of Vranín. The cemetery was founded in 1908 and consists of nearly 50 recent tombstones (Fig.2). A modest hall of farewell and a gravedigger’s house are situated by the cemetery entrance. The cemetery is open to visitors at all times.
Moravské Budějovice is the birthplace of the composer Ralph Benatzky (1884–1957, Zurich).
For further information on the locality and its landmarks please see www.mbudejovice.cz.