Individual Jews have lived in Lomnice since the 16th or 17th century, but the Jewish community of Lomnice was founded at the beginning of the 18th century with the arrival of settlers from Lysice. Due to the migration of its members into large cities the Jewish community ceased to exist as early as in 1928.
The Jewish quarter is an important urban complex built north of the historical centre of the town according to a plan of then-magistrates. It consisted of a square-shaped Židovské Square with the only access via Josefa Uhra Street. The ghetto initially comprised 35 houses including a school and a rabbinate at No. 212, a hospital at No. 216 and an inn at No. 208.
The synagogue (Fig.1) is located at the western side of the Židovské Square. It was built at the site of an older wooden temple in 1792–1794 in late baroque style. A stepped gable with volutes dominates its front face. After having been used as a storage space for fifty years, the synagogue underwent a period reconstruction in 1990–1997 in order to serve the town’s cultural needs. During the ceremonial reopening of the synagogue in June 1997, a memorial plaque to the victims of the Nazi racist genocide mounted on the south wall was unveiled. The synagogue is open to public upon a prior appointment with Mrs. Zhořová (phone +420 549 450 315).
The Jewish cemetery (Fig.2) is situated approximately 150 m northeast of the synagogue. It is accessible via an alley leading from Židovské Square. The cemetery was founded at the beginning of the 18th century. The cemetery consists of at least 500 tombstones, among which valuable baroque and classicist stonework with relief decorations and symbols can be found. The oldest preserved tombstone dates back to 1716. There is a former house of mourning with a small exposition covering the history of the local Jewish community and featuring the preserved relics close to the forged cemetery gate. The cemetery is open to visitors at all times.
Lomnice is the birthplace of the noted Norwegian psychiatrist Leo Eitinger (1912–1996, Oslo).
More information on Lomnice sights and landmarks can be found at www.lomnice.cz.