The records of the presence of a Jewish settlement in Koryčany date back to the 16th century. Koryčany is the birthplace the writer and revolutionary of 1848 Zikmund Hirsch Kollisch (1816–1886, Hodonín).
The Jewish quarter is situated in the northeast part of the town centre in the vicinity of Nádražní Street; most of the initial 37 houses have been preserved, although in altered shape. The former baroque synagogue built in 18th century can be found at the centre of the area at 688 Nádražní Street. The synagogue was adapted to be used as a gymnasium between WWI and WWII and rebuilt into a commercial shop after 1945 (Fig.1).
The Jewish cemetery (Fig.2) is situated approximately 400 m northeast of the Koryčany Square on an easy hill; a steep access to the cemetery is from Cihelny Street. The cemetery was founded in the first half of the 17th century. It comprises a total of 230 tombstones, the oldest of which dates back to the end of the 17th century. The burial-ground is open to the public at all times.
For further information on the locality and its landmarks please see www.korycany.cz.